Tuesday, August 14, 2007

GL: Guest Lecture or Good Lord!!


In the last few weeks we have been bombarded with a series of guest lectures (GLs)- three in this week itself, all bigshot corporate honchos or academicians from top institutes. I have never seen so many “allegedly” talented people, let alone seeing them all at once! It was quite an overwhelming experience, but thanks to the limited intelligence endowed to me, I wasn’t completely able to appreciate the quality of the talent paraded in front of me. As an unfortunate consequence, I ended up doing the following things:
a) Catching up on the much-needed sleep through a majority of the lectures (thanks to the darkness of the auditorium)
b) Cultivating my much-neglected hobbies: reading, listening to music and checking out the guys (all handsomely attired in the formal college uniform)
c) Fiddling around with my saree, clutching on to it for dear life
d) Slipping out of the audi through the back door!

Sometimes not being an engineer makes me wonder if I really missed out on the 8th wonder of the world: illegible equations, dynamic models and a whole lot fancy jargon!

However, the GL by the HUL Corporate Communications Head was quite inspiring, so much so that I actually stayed awake through most of the session. He was an articulate speaker and somehow managed to touch a chord especially when he spoke about HUL’s Shakti campaign. Shaktammas are definitely marketable but Shahrukh Khan in the Lux ad definitely isn’t. Gimme a break- I may be stupid, but I am not blind (I wear lenses)..
As a part of the Corporate Communications Cell of SCMHRD I got to interview the guy up close and personal! Well, being a member of CC is not ALL bad I guess.

But the GL that really made a deep impact was by Mohd Asif, a young guy from PwC who passed out from our college last year. It was more about sharing his life, his experiences, obstacles and overcoming those challenges.

Well, there are good GLs and there are bad GLs, but all I am asking for is “Save me from the really UGLY ones”!

2 comments:

Umme Salma Kandoriwala said...

nice photograph u look hot in saree..;(

Bella Stark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.