Thursday, June 13, 2013

Purple Rain

Rain fascinates me. It always has. Even as a kid, I simply adored H W Longfellow’s poem “Rain in Summer”, I wrote long essays about rains and as I grew up I fantasized about dancing wildly in the rain with an equally nerdy but romantic guy.

That’s one of the many reasons which enamoured me about Bombay when I first moved here ten years back. The splashing waves on Marine Drives, the beautiful sea, as dirty as it is, and of course, the dreamy combination of Haji Ali swept by the windy rains and puchka (not Panipuri) by the guy from Kolkata who made it the way I like, just brought me closer to the city in my early days. Over the years, while my relationship with the city has been reduced to a strictly live-and-let-live equation and as we have grown apart, the rains still manage to captivate me the way it did when I was a teenager, reminding me of the crackling chemistry we once shared.

All the crumbling infrastructure, the traffic, the breakdown of public transport notwithstanding, the rains in Bombay remain one of its eternally charming facets.

A surprise day off from school/college/work…

Getting drenched to the skin…

A hug from behind…

Slight tug of the pigtail…

Playful teasing…

Some warm hot chocolate to go with the unhealthy pakodas…

Laughing till you have tears in your eyes: tears which merge with the raindrops on your cheeks creating a heady concoction which is more addictive than the entire bottle of Black Label…

When it rains, it pours and how

2 comments:

xibi said...

beautiful and nostalgic!!! its monsoon time in kerala and am missing it :'( :'(

Nefertiti said...

@xibi

ohh don't worry... you have a lifetime to enjoy the kerala monsoons. just live in the moment and make the most of a new country!