Sunday, May 4, 2008

Hyderabad Blues!

Money for nothing: Well, this weekend I got to live the Dire Straits dream of “Money for nothing, chicks for free”- at least the first part of it! Yeah, I got my first month’s stipend and all for nothing. As in I do go to office and I do “work” for nine hours, five days a week, but well, it just doesn’t seem like work… I get to read and write and learn: things I usually do for free!

Bickering with autowalas:That’s one thing I am NOT going to miss about Hyderabad- the autowalas. Since I stay in the outskirts, every weekend when I plan to go to the city, I have to struggle through crowded buses (which are few and far between) or bargain with the autowalas. So the first benefactor of my stipend was this one guy who literally took me for a ride yesterday and charged me 120 bucks for a twenty minute journey! Well, I knew he had tampered with the meter, but hindsight is not very helpful…

No free lunches: So we met up at Parinita’s place- some 8 of us from college who are currently interning in Hyderabad. Her mom cooked an awesome lunch and especially the aloo was simply out of this world. But then, somebody had the bright idea that since I am noveau rich, I should pay for dessert and all of them made sure they had the most expensive ice-cream! So what I thought will be a free lunch, ended up being an expensive trip, thanks to swindling autowala and fleecing “friends”…

Dressing Down: One thing I love about Deloitte is the informal and casual attitude- no Sirs, no red-tapism, no fawning to seniors and yeah, no dress code. As in you have to wear formals four days a week, but unlike in college, nobody is there to morally police you, and your exam papers don’t get scrapped for wearing sleeveless. So I have carried my “daring” collection which hasn’t seen the light of day in the last one year. And Friday being casual day, I usually have a ball as I finally get to wear my skirts and fancy tops. But this week, HR lady jokes: “Hmm SCMHRD right? You guys have all sorts of restrictions… aish kar lo in do mahine mein”. Now was that a “friendly’ warning or what?

Choodi Bazaar: So what happens when one guy is stranded with five girls in a place like Choodi Bazaar next to Char Minar? Well, the guy has enough time to think about all his past sins and wonder why the hell he is paying for it all at once… but being one of the girls, I had a blast as I lost myself in all the cheap thrills and glitters and ended up buying some four dozen bangles, all for a paltry 100 bucks! And yeah, I flaunt my new found obsession with gaudiness even in office and take a perverse pleasure in inviting disgusted looks from all the classy, well-pearled ladies from Banjara Hills…




No comments: