Sunday, February 15, 2009

So it was Valentine's Day...

He took me for a long drive in his red wannabe “sports car”, instructed me to fasten the seat belt (a concept alien in the small town of Asansol), pressed on the accelerator and zipped through the highway, as I turned up the volume of the stereo. He took me to his favourite place, where he often came to be with himself, we reclined the seats, lay on our backs and talked…

We watched “Mumbai Meri Jaan” on his laptop when “Dev D” didn’t work out. He asked me not to undertake such heinous terrorist activities. I replied that there are no certainties in life and I can’t promise it, but, yeah, there was almost 97.5% chance that I wouldn’t…

We experimented in the kitchen. Then he made some exotic Jasmine tea, while I watched and treated myself to yummy Amul milk powder (I think that’s the best invention after chocolate)…

We bought a huge cake and candles and wolfed down three ice creams without stopping to breathe, the last one being called “Happy Moments”…

He told me stories about his college, his friends who had never been with girls and yet carried condoms in their wallets, “just in case”, his dreams of doing something path breaking (something related to programmable logic controller or PLC- I didn't understand a word of it, but I listened all the same), his football team, about being hit on by a gay guy in a public toilet and about how lost he felt at times…

And then, before we knew it, it was 2 in the morning, and he slept off, like he always did, with his arm round me. I whispered, “I love you” and he grinned back and said, “Thanks”…

And so that was it- my two days with my kid brother ended just like that, as he hugged me goodbye and went back to college while I embarked on a long and lonely bus ride to Kolkata thinking about my favourite cousin, but more importantly, one of my favourite people, my confidante, my 20-year old friend, philosopher and guide who strictly declared that I should only marry a guy with a Skoda… Sigh!!!

P.S. I also bought 2 pairs of expensive shoes. Yes, I hate Valentine’s Day “celebrated” by greeting cards manufacturing companies to make thousands feel miserable…
But I did spend it someone I love, and I did what I loved the most (well, second most) - shopping!!!

6 comments:

Aditya said...

Sounds like you had a 'delicious' valentine's day ;-)...FYI it might be worth your while to check out aditya-completemisfit.blogspot.com
:-)

Ayan... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ayan... said...

Hey my sister writes great. Ur valentines day was'nt that interesting after all, failing plans, watching the whole marriage CD,or rather DVD,going through the narrowest and busiest streets cluttered wid all types of vintage vehicles, wer u wud have wished to be in a romantic place with someone more appropriate,(Sry i forgot the name of the place.)..
Yet you made it sound so wonderful. You have it in you, go for it.

Viswa Sandeep S said...

hey shimmu..u're getting better by the day! I seriously thought u were describing ur V-Day date until i saw the word 'brother' close at the end of the post! very well written..and like ur bro has commented, u have successfully made a normal experience look like a truly splendid one!

Shivangi said...

yeah...wtever nice blog..
but 2 pairs of shoes....i love u..sigh ;P

Nefertiti said...

@ aditya
hey adi... ur blog totally rocks!! and thanks for finally leaving a comment on my humble portal :)

@ ayan sen
u r the best brother and it was the best V day...

@ viswa sandeep s
thnks!!! i think u r wasting way too much time on my blog :)

@ webstar
yessss!!!! 2 pairs of shoes... n m sleeping wid one of them :) u betr redeem ur mochi voucher soon or I will use it up as well