Friday, May 8, 2009

The "RIGHT" choice!


I think logic, rationality and judgment are over rated: I mean, most of the important decisions are taken on the spur of the moment, more with your heart than your head. My mom always says that choosing your spouse and choosing your house are very similar, and at that time I used to laugh it off, but now that I have been through it, I can actually understand what she is talking about. I was terrified about finding accommodation in Mumbai, terrified about dealing with brokers and landlords and most of all, terrified about choosing the “right” place given the plethora of options (as expensive as all of them are). But yesterday on my very first day of house hunting, I fell in love with the very first house I set my foot on. As soon as I entered the hall, it almost screamed to me, “this is it, this is my home”. It just “felt right”. I didn’t have to reason with myself, I didn’t have to convince myself, I didn’t have to weigh the pros and cons: it all fell in place as it happens so often with the “right thing”, “the right person” and “the right job”. The rent, the location, the flatmate- it all worked out in a matter of hours. Thereafter I visited a few more houses, but none of them seemed “right”. I don’t believe in the concept of “love at first sight”, but so far that’s the way it has been for me. Even for my job, that’s the way it happened: first company on campus for summers, my first interview, and from the beginning I knew it felt right for me irrespective of its aspiration value to other people- the profile, the money, the offer: none of it was exactly an envious proposition for most people, but it was sooo perfect for ME. May be, just may be, it’s not all HR crap, when they talk about the “perfect fit”. It does exist, as it does for the “right” house, the “right” car, the “right” watch, the "right" political party (may be not, because it doesn't exist) and the “right” relationship…

Lesson learnt: If you have to think too much about something, may be it’s not worth thinking about and this is NOT an excuse to NOT THINK!

No comments: