Monday, July 20, 2009

Of indifference and apathy!

I think being able to make small talk with just about anybody is an art- an art that is extremely useful in the corporate set up, and unfortunately an art that I am yet to master, and by the looks of it, I will NEVER master! I had a full fledged session with a senior, trying to help me out with this very subtle but very important art: like there are some socially accepted topics that you can initiate a conversation practically with anybody: weather, food and traffic being the most popular ones. Then you can gradually build on it and move on to work and real estate and rent and family. As of now I function in a retarded manner where I am pouring my heart out to people I get along with (very very few), where I don’t hold back, where I give everything and for the rest of the world, I am this rude, unapproachable, unfriendly stuck up person who rarely smiles. So far, this has worked just fine for me: I have few friends, but they are genuine friends. And I think the concept of indifference rocks! I love not caring about what I think of people or what they think of me, where I don’t bother enough to hate anybody, where the bottomline is “it doesn’t matter if the person doesn’t matter”…but now, I am suddenly stifled, suddenly confused… may be that isn’t the best approach after all!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sigh...i soo.. know that feeling...

Merely Me said...

we could continue wishing!

lifeiscooldude said...

i guess innocence is better than indifference..for being indifferent, u need an entity to be indifferent to..u r dependent on somebody to say look..i don't care about u..whereas in reality, we need that person so that we can not care about him/her..innocence is pure.it is bliss and existing for urself..something which howard roark was (i m sure u know him..)..that's how i think about this indifference thing..and yes, small talks are gr8.its good fun and a good way to know ppl..problem is, as MBAs we think that anybody making a small talk has some purpose behind it..whereas it can be just for fun too..i love it.. :-)