Thursday, February 21, 2008

Testing Times!

These two weeks are probably the most stressful in the MBA lifecycle at SCMHRD, and yet I somehow manage to indulge my “sinful” hobby of writing utter crap! Ever since I started blogging, I have felt a sense of ownership about something, something I could call my own and something I am extremely passionate about… it’s like every little thing that happens (or does not happen but should have happened) to me, the first thing I think about is how am I going to describe it in my blog! Usually I am allergic to technology and civilization, but for a change I really like this concept of an online diary. True, I don’t have as much freedom as I did when I used to write a diary, but still seeing my name come up in the top 10 google hits is kinda exhilarating!
Tomorrow I have two exams (and still I don’t have a freaking clue about either) followed by 4 next week. Add to it, the flurry of assignments and the ignominy of the looming humiliation of flunking in Financial Management and hence be chucked out of Finance…. Hmmm, the future doesn’t look too good, but I will live! Probably I will end up taking HR electives but work in Finance, because flunking in a mid-term doesn’t make me ignorant. And personally I have never found a correlation between academics and its application (or the lack of it).
As it is we are under severe stress, and the college decided it was the right time to invite two eminent professors from a premier institute for a workshop. Obviously it turned out to be a disaster as half the people didn’t attend, and the other half studied for the exams during class or simply walked out after attendance. At the end of the day there were a handful of people who actually paid attention (and I wasn’t one of them)… not only was it an insult to two eminent, knowledgeable people, but it was also a disgrace to our college which reflected poorly on us. But I don’t think you could blame the students entirely for this. You can’t schedule 8-hour long sessions in the exam week along with piles of assignments all due for submission at the same time. All this jazz about performing under pressure sounds great, but this is bordering on insanity and stupidity. Having said that, as students we could have probably handled it better: for instance, sleeping in class wasn’t exactly the ideal way to go about it!
I am counting down the days till 28th Feb, when it all comes to an end. In March, we have our end-term exams, then I go for my summers (to bloody Hyderabad) on 3rd April and then we are back as seniors!!! Yippie… I can’t wait. Our seniors have already left, and despite all the hardships they put us through, I kind of miss them, bickerings and all!

PS: we had to submit a revolutionary budget as our economics project! I kind of derived a perverse pleasure while working on it, even though we were severely short of time. It gave us a chance to indulge our fantasies: something that the government never does! We taxed agriculture, cut subsidies and ahem, legalized prostitution to bring it under the service tax net much to the delight of the guys J We may get negative marks, but for once, it wasn’t just another assignment to be handed in…I felt a sense of ownership for it! Damn, I keep talking about “ownership”- I picked it up from some undesirable source. So long, for being ek din ka finmin!!

1 comment:

Ashwin said...

nice dig at ownership.hope the feelin is more permanent rather than under stress behaviour. :).best of luck for the exams.