Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The turquoise saree...


The turquoise colored saree felt just right… why? I don’t know, it just did! I have tried different colours before and I used to think red complements my complexion and my personality: at least that’s what all the fashion magazines say- on paper it looks so perfect. It’s like made for me, and I can’t ask for more, but somehow, when I tried it on, there was something not quite right. I don’t know what was wrong with it, but the mirror said it all. And then, I spilt wine on it… and so that was the end of it. But a saree? Come on! It’s so different from who I am, I can’t even wear one properly (remember those days of guest lectures when I would run from pillar to post trying to find a kind soul who would help me with it?), I knew I would trip over and hurt myself sooner or later, I knew I would have to make alterations, I knew I would need new shoes to complement it, and I wasn’t sure that it would look good on me, but still that’s what I wanted and it seemed such a pity to throw it away without even trying it. It came for quite a price, but it was so worth it, and it felt so right, that I just had to have it…but I couldn't, not now, may be never!

2 comments:

workhard said...

Hi, that is a lovely color to compliment our Indian skin tone.. and reminding of the difficulty of wearing a saree, i once used up an entire bunch of safety pins to keep mine in place...

Haiku

Nefertiti said...

@ workhard
ummm.... this post is kinda personal, and nothing to do with wearing a saree!!