Monday, September 12, 2011

Cuming of Age...

This weekend I finally watched the much-touted, controversial and banned-in-many-Indian-states play, “V**ina Monologues”. See, I am this sushil bharatiya naari; I can’t even spell it out without the asterix, like it’s some kind of an abusive word.

Let’s try again: V-A-G-I-N-A Monologues. There, I did it, finally…

It feels so liberating, to say it out loud; but that’s just fleeting amidst the sheer embarrassment, stifled laughter and restrained admiration for a bunch of women, who just sat there and made it happen: every bit of it…

Does it mean I can now go about discussing intimate details of my life openly? Of course not…(You see I am too classy for that)

Does it mean I am empowered enough take up the issues highlighted in the play which we all read about, but don’t discuss? Are you kidding me?... (You see I am an analyst, not an activist)

Does it mean I am suddenly going to be a feminist ranting about my ‘rights’, voicing my ‘preferences’ and defending my ‘idiosyncrasies’? No way… (You see I am a middle-class Indian woman)

But what I can do, is to write about it, subtly

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so pretty and feminine now! I really like it. Keep up the exciting stuff! God bless you.


RESUME OBJECTIVES

survivingbrain said...

well, at lest you could spell it out. :P

But then, does the spelling change if you are a middle class,low class or a high class indian or foreign woman??

I dont think its about talking loud about the feminine details, its about being confident as a woman.

You decide what to do with your property, right?

Nefertiti said...

@shaik
thank you...

@survivingbrain
it's also to do with your upbringing, your environment and your social conditioning. It shouldn't be a taboo, but the reality is as it is