Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dilli Billi




Auto ride in the middle of peak hour traffic: 50 bucks
Overpriced snacks at the Food Court: 120 bucks (thank god for sodexos)
Impromptu visit to the theatre for Delhi Belly after midweek crisis: Priceless


Never have I choked with laughter in a 90-minute Bollywood movie, even as the middle-aged couple next to us cringed as we held our breath, lest we miss out on any moment of this madcap comedy. If Dil Chahta Hai was a cult movie, this one is pathbreaking in its boldness and its ability to laugh at life. This movie gives you hope: the audience, though young, has matured, the filmmakers have matured, but the biggest winner is the censor board which has grown up enough to let the movie be. They even managed to get a Kiran Rao clone to play the role of Maneka, and she so rocks. Even the toilet humour, which is usually not my cup of tea, managed to keep me in splits, by the sheer grossness of it. As my friend said, if the aim of the movie was to disgust the audience to laughter, it certainly worked.

Some of the priceless moments:

I shall cut off your b**** and make them into earrings…
This is one ugly car. This is what you get when a donkey humps an auto rickshaw…
Tashi, get back ‘in’ there…
Meet Nitin, the serial rapist…
This girl… has given me a blowjob…
Make it smile, you know, like 7% more…
Finally, the last scene where Tashi kisses Maneka through the window in a moving car, was so, well, moving…


And yea, I can’t emphasize this enough, I don’t know why people are talking about this movie in the same breath as Three Idiots. This one is sooo much cooler and well, coming-of-age kinda stuff, and not the idiotic platitudes doled out to the masses.

Anyway, got to go now, boss is here. Bhaag bhaag DK Bose, boss aayi, boss aayi. What? I am not a North Indian, I don’t understand the double-meaning expletives. As far as I know, DK Bose is a routine Bong guy, and my boss is a bong.

Shit Happens, but this movie makes you laugh at it…

No comments: