Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pride and Peace

I am reading again: Three books in parallel! Well, to be honest, initially it was just one. Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens, something which my dad has been trying to force down my throat for ages now, but I had been avoiding, well, because of the sheer size of the book and the mini font, not to mention the old world language. I so admire the idea of reading classics but why does it have to be so hard? Each time I read one, it seems to reduce my life expectancy by at least five years. So just to give myself some respite, I picked up Nothing Serious by PG Wodehouse. Again. The familiarity makes me feel happy, so I treasure this one for the Sunday evenings when I am feeling particularly depressed. Finally, yesterday I got myself Sidin Vadukut’s Dork: The Incredible Adventures of Robin 'Einstein' Varghese and it’s hilarious! I laughed myself to sleep for a change. I have a serious suspicion he worked with Company D (you know my previous organization). Can anyone throw some light on his career before he became the managing editor of LiveMint? Lucky b******.

I have something to look forward to: Even though it’s not really going anywhere, it still gives me a reason to rush home from work and check my mail even before I kick off my shoes or get super excited every time I get a call from an unknown number (though every time it turns out to be some bank/insurance company trying to sell me something I don’t want). It’s like I am back to last year, when I would absolutely hate weekends because nothing would happen over those two long days (remember my love-hate relationship with placement consultants and HR department of EVERY company in India?). Now it’s the same, though thankfully placement consultants/HR are not part of it. I really like my constant obsession for doing something, though rejection, depression and humiliation are part and parcel of it. At least, I have a dream.

I have become super domesticated: I get up at 6:30 in the morning to cook my lunch and pack my dabba for work. Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.

I have started walking again: Auto(nomy) restored. Yayyy!

I have been strong enough: To resist temptations of happiness. Greed is NOT good, no matter what Gordon Gekko says. I would rather be peaceful than happy. I no longer have this obsessive need to know things. I am ok with the romantic idea of “What if?”

So yeah, I have been proud of myself, or just proud…

P.S.: Proud here doesn’t mean vain/arrogant. It just means ‘peace’

2 comments:

Sidin said...

Lucky b***** indeed.

:)

Thanks for reading the book.

Nefertiti said...

@ Sidin

Is that really you? I mean really really you? And I am so so sorry for referring to you as 'you-know-what' on public forum. But I don't normally get readers, let alone celebrity readers here.

But thanks a lot for dropping by and thanks again for making me smile. Dork rocks, especially since I identify with the jargon used in consulting firms.